You are here

Santorum Revealed as Romney's Stalking Horse in Brenham

Jan 15, 2012
Dr. Jack Wheeler

You wrote this. Only a communist or an egomaniacal lunatic would desire to vote on their own stuff.

Click "Okay" and close this before someone sees this.

Mitt Romney, left and his stalking horse Santorum, right.

At least it was cordial.

But the 150 or so "movement conservatives" gathered at Paul Pressler's this weekend (1/13-14) were a fractured lot.

Maybe 10% were for Perry. Almost all of them were against Romney. Well, sort of. Caveat below.

There was an official Romney guy there who explained that "You'll either work with us now or work with us later, but you'll all have to get on Mitt's train, because we have the money and the organization, so there's no stopping us."

This did not go over well. It just made everyone more determined than ever to do whatever it takes to stop Mittens. How to do so is what the group could not agree on.

I'm not going to name names, as I was asked not to. Just about every big name conservative you've heard of was there. A number of them didn't come out for any particular candidate. Others said they were all in for Perry at the start, and just couldn't overcome his blunders.

When the case was made that Perry was the only candidate who actually understood the Constitution and the power of the 10th Amendment, the only one who was not a big government guy, the most successful governor in the country who has a rock solid record of job creation and conservative judicial appointments - they just didn't care. I want that to sink in.

These conservative leaders really do not care about jobs, people hurting like the Great Depression, America's economy falling into an abyss. All they care about is "the family as the fabric of society," and other Rick Santorum social conservative platitudes. So a majority of them voted for Santorum. They could care less that Santorum would not do anything to reduce metastasizing government, much less castrate it (like Perry would), or has not the slightest trace of executive experience of any kind, government or private.

When asked one-on-one why they were going for Santorum when they knew he had no money, no organization, and stood not a ghost of a chance to win the nomination, the truth came out:

"If we unify behind Santorum, it will force Romney to pick him as his running mate - for he'll know that's the only way to get our support in the general (election in November)."

That's the slimy deal behind this. They'll go for Romney if he goes for Santorum on his ticket. Should we call them Judas Conservatives?

We suspected this all along: Santorum is a stalking horse for Romney. A vote for Santorum is a vote for Romney. Folks in South Carolina need to know this.

The cynical ploy, however, will not work - and not just because the Romney guy rolled his eyes when told about it (Romney has his heart set on Marco Rubio). It's because there was no unity at this meeting.

The Drudge headline "Social conservatives back Santorum," is a lie. A majority of the folks there chose Santorum - but there was no agreement that everyone would now get behind their choice. Some will continue backing Perry. A much larger number are now committed to Gingrich as the Not Romney. Others are going to focus on doing whatever they can to see no candidate gets a majority of delegates for a brokered convention.

A brokered convention, by the way, is how Sarah Palin could get the nomination. Or Rick Perry.

So there you have it.

This was a meeting that won't change the world, that won't change anything, except to marginalize these "movement" conservative leaders who really don't care about the fate of America.

They say Perry blew his chance. They have blown theirs.

This article was written by Dr. Jack Wheeler of To The Point News. The Wall Street Journal called Wheeler "the originator of the Reagan Doctrine". The Washington Post called him "The Indiana Jones of the Right". Izvestiya, the organ of the Soviet Communist Party, called him an "ideological gangster".

Visit To The Point here.

Read more about it at tothepointnews.com

Rants

Whoever supports Rick

Jan 15, 2012 2:46 pm
Barbara Espinosa

Whoever supports Rick Santorum because he says he's a conservatives needs to do their homework. They are making a mistake Santorum's record shows he'a a big government candidate. http://bit.ly/zWSIhg. Why choose a candidate that has been in DC forever and voted to create the things they are now running against. Perry is the only candidate that has current experience in creating an environment for job growth in a bad economy and plans to do so. * Cut, Balance, and Grow • Energizing American Jobs & Security.Supports a flat tax, a balanced budget, job creation, domestic energy, a secure border and get America working again, He is a conservative of conviction, not of convenience. Has signed 6 balanced budget during his term as governor and the only one to do so since WW11.

Joe, do you think the

Jan 15, 2012 2:55 pm
Kay Wilson

Joe, do you think the evangelicals are thinking Romney-Santorum? A ticket with Santorum- ? is just not plausible.

Perry has everything these

Jan 15, 2012 3:54 pm
Joe Hyde

Perry has everything these people want in a leader. Problem is, "Oops!" They cannot get over that, even though Perry is really on his game now.

What's This?

I was thinking that the only

Jan 15, 2012 4:56 pm
Terrie Mead

I was thinking that the only people who are stuck on the "Oops!" moment are the voters who already made up their minds and most likely made up their minds before the "Oops!" moment. They couldn't be swayed anyway. Like the guy last night at Huckabee's forum who had the gall to tout himself an undecided voter in order to promote Ron Paul in a question to the candidates.

I think we political junkies forget that there is a whole gaggle of voters out there who just don't follow politics like we do. The MSM has really forgotten about the other gaffes Perry made and focuses on one, albeit major, gaffe. Outside of us insiders I would be thinking, "One mistake, so what."

Perry's getting so much better advice. He has local advisors and "handlers." He's campaigning with the people of South Carolina not to the mainstream media. He's walking main street, interviewing with local radio stations and local news programs. I know it doesn't seem to be showing up in the polls yet, but just remember where Santorum was three days before Iowa.
Anyway, it's only my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

What's This?

The only positive in this

Jan 15, 2012 2:56 pm
Stephanie K

The only positive in this mess is that these so called "christian" leaders are being exposed for the frauds that they are. I just wish the names of who was there be made available so that they can be known to those who foolishly finance their egos.

Phil Johnson of Pyromaniacs blog nailed it back in 2008 when he said the evangelicals sold their spiritual authority for a mess of political pottage.

Make no mistake , by

Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm
nancy sabet

Make no mistake , by endorsing this loser, they're guaranteeing Mittens/s nomination. They are back-stabbers.

As an Evangelic i find

Jan 15, 2012 3:54 pm

As an Evangelic i find endorsement of a pro-choice candidate highly repulsive. I would love to find a list with how each & every one of them voted. Do they really believe that people are such sheep we are too stupid to know that santorum's family rhetoric is exactly that. I personally would LOVE a brokered convention, because I figured out a long time ago that would make Perry the nominee.

Could never support that

Jan 15, 2012 4:01 pm
Miriam Corbin

Could never support that ticket! Two of the biggest RINO's in the race? This will most assuredly lose the South's vote. I'm backing Governor Perry all the way to the end. I will write him in if I have to. I'm tired of the Washington establishment so-called Republicans deciding for me who will be the nominee when only 1% of the electorates have been decided! Why won't my vote count? If Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina will decide it, why should the other 47 states even vote? That's what they are telling us over and over. "After South Carolina, it's over." We NOT FOR ME!! This is a bunch of horse hockey. The only true conservative in this race is Governor Perry. That's why they are so desperate to get him OUT of the race as fast as they can. 150 so-called evangelical nut jobs aren't going to make up my mind for me. Perry 2012! What we need are some big, surprise endorsements by REAL conservatives like Sarah Palin and Tim Scott and Pat Toomey. Someone with some real clout needs to come out for Gov Perry now and with much fanfare. I pray every night that something like this will take place. I just wish I had the power to do it for him.

All those preachers probably

Jan 15, 2012 5:23 pm
Beverly Nuckols

All those preachers probably didn't improve their sermons as quickly as the Governor improved his debate skills.

How can anyone endorse Rick

Jan 15, 2012 5:36 pm
Mark Stevens

How can anyone endorse Rick Santorum who voted for ear marks, the bridge to nowhere, AGAINST "The National Right to Work Law" and received a D+ on his tax plan from the Conservative “Tax Foundation” and who believes and looks to the Government for solutions? South Carolina, prove them wrong! Stand on principals and vote for the Real McCoy, “Rick Perry!”

What's This?

Makes one want to do a little

Jan 15, 2012 6:27 pm
SandBox Blogs

Makes one want to do a little more than weep, Joe. Weep, wail..pull one's hair out in frustration. There is only one problem that is obstructing Perry.

The media. He's not getting air, ink or face time. They are deliberately and purposefully quashing him. Where I come from, there is only one way to fix that. And that is to speak up with as many voices as will follow you. Zero tolerance policy for repressing the voices of Americans who need to act and be heard.

At midterms here in Colorado, we had our dose from Colorado conservative leaders, in very similar ways to what you just described. The result was being run over by Tancredo the Human Tank (could be a friend of Ron Paul he took so many votes and wasted them). The epoch failure of Dan Maes and a newborn but lacking direction of any kind Colorado Tea Party. When the kill shot by the national and state left went out on Scott, Colorado conservatives just fell apart. There is only one way that any kind of unity in the smaller elections came together and got men like Cory Gardner and Scott Tipton elected.

We hit the air. If they were not going to give us media coverage, we would make our own. Complete grassroots effort and did it through commentary in the very hubs and forums that the best conservatives and Republicans were being kept from. Chatted, showed the way, shared our views and held conversations within communities. No newspaper, radio station or TV station too small.

It worked. And the bonus is that it is driven by the heart of the voters who really believe in their guy. The very best presentation, in all these phenomenal ads and talks that Rick Perry has done, are the diary postings on RedState. He showed he was a simple man who can speak comfortably in a forum just like all the rest of us common folks. Read those comments in response to him...they are incredible declarations of support.

Here's a link that shows South Carolina's media outlets. Likely, they all have hubs and forums.

May I suggest taking a page from Coloradans who got hit as hard as Perry is now? It won't be easy and you will be pushed in debate with people you don't know. But, unlike a Tweet or a wall post it is sustained dialog and it works.

Why are Western Colorado Independent Conservatives sending Texas Governor Rick Perry to the White House in 2012?

Because he's never quit a day in his life.

What's This?

The article and comments were

Jan 15, 2012 8:23 pm
Carol Lawrence

The article and comments were excellent. I agree with all of you about Governor Perry. My husband and I supported him in all offices for the 16 years we lived in TX. I should say my husband is a Democrat. We now live in Florida and will be supporting him here. We all will just have to step up to the plate. God Bless.

Evangelicals endorsed a

Jan 15, 2012 8:41 pm
nancy sabet

Evangelicals endorsed a CATHOLIC to guarantee the nomination of a MORMON candidate???

What's This?

I mean how crazy is that!?!

Jan 15, 2012 10:18 pm
Terrie Mead

I mean how crazy is that!?! It's completely nonsensical. Those three groups of people are widely different.

What's This?

I want names so that I can

Jan 16, 2012 11:41 am
Stephanie K

I want names so that I can identify these fools. I think Balam's Ass made way more sense than this group of so called godly men.

lol, nsabetus.

Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm
SandBox Blogs

lol, nsabetus.

Everyone seemed a little upset so I thought I would just wait until somebody pointed that little tidbit out.

Bless them.

What's This?

Listen, don't get me wrong,

Jan 16, 2012 11:45 am
Doubting Thomas

Listen, don't get me wrong, Perry has a STELLAR paper resume. But it takes more than that. And that comment about a brokered convention was unintentionally dead on. What's the biggest similarity between Sarah Palin and Rick Perry? Neither one was/is ready for the national stage. So he got over the 'Oops' gaffe. Then he announces he's heading to Texas to 'reassess' the campaign? And then immediately retracts and heads to SC? They might be little things, but self-labeled political junkies know that stuff like that kills campaigns. Discuss.

I'll bite, tb09. I think

Jan 16, 2012 1:07 pm
SandBox Blogs

I'll bite, tb09. I think anyone who engages in state politics, steps up to the plate, especially a state the size of Texas, has a tremendous amount of courage. But..when stepping up to the national plate, that man or woman becomes a true champion. I would by far prefer someone who is not afraid to show his human frailty to me, someone who has the common sense to pull back and think something he may be unsure of through rather than someone like Barack Obama who is learning at mine and my country's expense. Let me ask you, when we are dealing with real issues such as our need for leadership, our need to get an entire country back to work, our need to get our debt and spending under control; what is it exactly about an isolated 'Oops' moment and a bit of contemplation over how to lead all of his staffers and monetary supporters forward that makes a difference to you? For those very minor hiccups, Rick Perry has balanced them out on this campaign trail with STELLAR debate performances, STELLAR leadership on the ground and STELLAR inspirational connecting to those he touches. The comment about a brokered convention was dead on. So are the comments about deliberate manipulation of media by a left faction that feels very threatened by Perry. Let's chat some more on this.

Tim-- Great points, but

Jan 16, 2012 1:07 pm
Joe Hyde

Tim-- Great points, but PLEASE don't compare my Aggie U.S. Air Force pilot brother with Sarah Palin. It's just so, well, unmanly. (GRIN)

What's This?

Sorry, that was the sense I

Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm
Doubting Thomas

Sorry, that was the sense I got from the article - that there was some comparison in the ideological platforms of Perry and Palin. I saw more similarity than just platform.

And what makes a difference about those hesitations to me is the same thing that makes me hope that we can get through the next 12 months under our current leadership. To borrow a phrase from Sarah Palin (ironic, right?), it's that moment at 3 am when our President finds out that we are under attack and it's his job to make a split-second decision that will affect 300 million Americans. I have deep concerns about any candidate that hesitates now and how he or she will perform under that stress. If poor performances in early states gives you pause, then perhaps pushing the button isn't the right job for you.

What's This?

I can completely agree with

Jan 16, 2012 5:24 pm
Terrie Mead

I can completely agree with the similarity between Rick Perry and Sarah Palin that has nothing to do with ideology. And, it seems, perhaps the primary point to your comment.

Both Rick Perry and Palin were on the sidelines minding their own business when "Bam" they’re in front of a national audience and not as a bit player (like Romney, Paul, Bachman, Santorum, Huntsman, Cain, McCain), but as the hope for the Republican ticket. Like Obama, Bachman, et al had their chance to screw up without being front and center; expectations were much lower.

It seems the media, many Democrats and some Republicans forget (or wish not to remember) just how excruciatingly horrible a debater Obama was in 2007/8. The teleprompter is his best friend; without it he stumbles and falls hard. Obama never did improve much even with his early entrance, whereas Rick Perry has improved dramatically. That's not just me talking; it's the opinion coming from the mainstream media and the mainstreet(er).

This may border on an excuse, but please bear with me. In addition to the lopsided attention given Rick Perry at the start of his campaign, he entered the race barely a month and a half (surgery was mid to late July) after back surgery, he wore a back brace during the first few debates, had not been cleared by his doctor to high exertion (like running for President isn’t extreme), and was still prescribed pain medication. Not a real good time to start a campaign for the highest office in the land. If Governor Perry and his campaign managers can be faulted, it is in scheduling. Perry has readily admitted the surgery should have been planned for January 2011.

The Sarah Palin comparison stops there. Rick Perry’s experience far exceeds Palin’s, his proven ability to bounce back far exceeds Palin’s (she never did recover), his grasp on domestic and international issues far exceeds Palin’s, his record as Governor of the 13th largest economy in the world far exceeds Palin’s two years as Governor, and his ability to communicate his vision of where he wants to take our country far exceeds Sarah Palin’s. Combine all of these things and compare them with any of the other contenders and Rick Perry stands apart from them all.

Romney, Paul and to some extent Gingrich have national organization without even having to lift a finger. The first two ran a national campaign four years ago (Paul more times than can count on one hand) and Gingrich has been in the public mind since stepping down as Speaker. Seriously no surprise Romney, Paul and Gingrich excelled in the game of politics.
The sad truth is that you may be right. Perhaps because of Perry and his “handlers” initial inexperience with a national campaign, the best person for the office of the President will be lost. It may be handed to another who cannot bring to the office the proven values, proven fiscal responsibility, proven leadership, and foresight for our country. It will be lost not because that person would lead our country out of the Great Recession, but because the other is a great campaigner. We have one of those as president right now. To quote a bumper sticker I saw the other day, “How’s that workin’ out for ya’?”

What's This?

One more point which I agree,

Jan 16, 2012 6:40 pm
Terrie Mead

One more point which I agree, Perry's hesitation to continue was disappointing for me as well. Ross Perot in the 1980’s was beginning to surpass the other candidates, but he chose to drop out because one of his daughters’ was sick. A couple of weeks later Perot changed his mind and returned to the campaign, but he never recovered.

But again, the similarity with Ross Perot ends. Rick Perry did not change his mind. Rick Perry is a realist; a characteristic found in staunch conservatives and federalists. It is a characteristic Perry has proven by his record over and over and over again. If the decision to engage 312 million people in war comes knocking at President Rick Perry’s door, I want him to be someone who looks realistically and globally at the decision before him. We have a rash decision maker in the oval office as I write this, so again I ask you, “How’s that workin’ out for ya’?”

Rick Perry didn't take a moment due to inexperience with critical judgments. It was his experience with making split-second decisions as Governor and as a pilot he counted on to determine the next course of action moving forward. As an aside, I am a flight instructor. Although quick decisions and multitasking are required virtues of the pilot, those decisions must be coupled with clearly assessing the situation before making a choice that could, without exaggeration, kill yourself and the passengers for whom you are responsible.

Let’s be honest here. Choosing to continue a campaign hardly requires split-second decision making so taking a moment to reassess is not a predictor to how one will respond in an emergency. Also, I’ve no doubt each candidate from Romney to Santorum daily (perhaps even taking 8 or 9 hours) assess which way to precede. Perry’s deliberation took less than 8 hours. But, as they say, it doesn’t matter what one says or how one says it, it matters only how the other hears it (or in many cases, how others spin it for their own advantage).

Oh my. Christians blaming

Jan 16, 2012 2:36 pm
Joe Hyde

Oh my. Christians blaming other Christians of cheating.

Now, a prominent evangelical political organizer is saying to others confidentially he has evidence that in a least one instance a participant was seen writing Mr. Santorum’s name on four separate ballots and putting them in the ballot box.

(Source: WaTimes "Pro-Santorum Vote was Rigged")

Erick Erickson at RedState

Jan 16, 2012 5:30 pm
Joe Hyde

Erick Erickson at RedState wrote another first-hand account of the Brenham confab:

The third thing you should know about this weekend is just how well the Gingrich and Santorum camps handled themselves and how poorly the Perry and Romney camps handled themselves. I won’t even get into the advocacy on behalf of Ron Paul, which didn’t go well.

(Source: RedState: The Evangelical Vote)

What's This?

In my mind, this was the long

Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm
Carolyn Riley Strong

In my mind, this was the long and short of it. "They no more want me in Washington, DC than the devil wants to drink Holy Water"...this was pretty close to what Governor Perry said on Hannity's program.

Washington, DC does not want him. They would have to change to save the country. Does Washington, DC want to save the country...apparently not. The press...do they want a Governor Perry in Washington, DC. Apparently not. Fox News has even excluded him from consideration during the analysis of last night's debate. To use "their government code words"...I feel disenfranchised.

Governor Rick Perry has the record, the vision and the love of country to be a great president. He is far better suited to run this country than any other candidate running. I was upset with the endorsement of the Evangelicals. I am sorry that they could not see through the manipulation and see the "entire" candidate and their positions. I hope South Carolina can.

What's This?

Is the campaign aware of this

Jan 18, 2012 1:09 am

Is the campaign aware of this copycat blog page that was originally supportive of Rick Perry but has now gone to Newt Gingrich? They still have his logos and photos all over the page! I have demanded on Facebook, twitter and in their blog here that they take down the photos and campaign logos and change their name, as they are deceiving Christians who would like to support Governor Perry, not former Speaker Gingrich. If anyone directly connected with the Perry campaign has the ability to force them to take it down, they should exercise it now, IMO.

Pages